Saturday, December 29, 2012

Ready Spirits, Weak Flesh

"But Peter said unto him, Although all shall be offended, yet will not I. And Jesus saith unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this day, even in this night, before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. But he spake the more vehemently, If I should die with thee, I will not deny thee in any wise. Likewise also said they all. And they came to a place which was named Gethsemane: and he saith to his disciples, Sit ye here, while I shall pray. And he taketh with him Peter and James and John, and began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy; And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch. . . . And he cometh, and findeth them sleeping, and saith unto Peter, Simon, sleepest thou? couldest not thou watch one hour? Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak." (Mar 14:29-38)
God, Jesus, there was no one with You. NO one stood beside You or supported You. We left You alone to carry our own burdens. I left You to carry my sin. Forgive me. Forgive us. Each of us has a cross to bear. Each of us must walk with You. Help me to tarry and watch with You. Otherwise, I not only abandon You, but I also set myself to fail. Peter and all the disciples promised they would never leave You. Failed promises. Why? Is it because, in the garden, they all slept, counting their flesh strong enough to accomplish what their spirits had willed to do? Had they watched and prayed, might they have kept their promises? Teach me to watch and pray.

No comments: